Sunday 7 June 2015

Prime Movers - Crying Again
1982



This is the only release from Auckland Pop band The Prime Movers. It was recorded in mono. Their original drummer was Chris Matthews later of Children's Hour and The Headless Chickens. He had left the band before this single was recorded, replaced by Newmatics drummer Ben Staples. Crying Again and Walk On By are both on the A side.


Ben Staples
Drums
Kevin Howlett
Bass
Nick Crowther
Guitar/Vocals

Recorded off of the 7" vinyl single
 

 

4 comments:

  1. This is one of THE great NZ indie pop (before indie pop) records that will forever belong in my collection. The songs are spectacularly good, the performances emotive and as a collection of songs on a 7", it's as complete and impressive as almost any release I can think of. Brilliant. Thanks for uploading and posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw their final concert at the legendary Mainstreet venue, Auckland, c.'82. I recall Nick Crowther announcing to a disappointingly sparse crowd that the band are breaking up " 'cos no one gives a fuck". I was gutted. I was a huge fan, along with Auckland's neo-Mod crowd & saw them whenever possible. A mutual musician friend knew Nick quite well, gave me his phone number. Nick was kind enough to give me encouragement in my musical pursuits & was a pretty accommodating with this wide-eyed fan. This EP still sounds a vital & lo-fi as the day it was released. Kiwi gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard this before as an American, incredible. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done. Man and Van

    ReplyDelete